Well, Nina Kate had thrown her sippy cup in the car and I forgot to find it before we went in. I always have her eat her lunch in the grocery cart so I needed to find her a drink to go with her banana, goldfish, and hard boiled egg. I know where to get liquids at both of my local Bi-los and Earthfare, but this Publix seemed to have no cheap refrigerated water bottles anywhere. The deli only carried lemon water and their soda machine didn't have a water button. So I walked all the way to the dairy side to get a personal organic milk bottle for her (which I've done at Bi-Lo, Target, and Earthfare). But of course this massive grocery had no personal sized milks except for like a liter of publix chocolate milk. Sigh. So I start searching for regular water bottles. Turns out there were 3 or 4 different drink aisles! I finally found the one with water and ripped open a pack of publix water bottles gave one to my daughter and put the rest in my cart and finally I'm ready to begin shopping.
An hour later I slip in my cheap Old Navy flipflops on a wet spot on the floor. I look to my daughter knowing she is probably to blame and to my shock she has her water upside down in her seat and it has soaked through her cloth shopping cart cover and is dripping, dripping, dripping, dripping all over the floor and all over my groceries under her! Including a few paper wrapped items that were now swelling with water like the fancy all natural wheat flour for her morning pancakes. There seems to be no way to stop the saturated seat cover from releasing the rest of its watery contents, so we just continue on and hope nobody else slips on the puddles we're leaving behind as we proceed through the meat department.
Over thirty minutes later, I have finally procured enough items and I head to the checkout. There were 2 lanes open and so I began to wait in line behind a few other full carts. There is a young guy manning the 10 items or less aisle which was completely empty and he took pity on me and coaxed me to check out in the fast lane. Well of course once he starts ringing up my items people with just a bottle of soda show up wanting to use the fast lane. I wanted to tell them it wasn't my idea, but I just unloaded my cart faster. I only used 2 coupons this trip and my bill was the same or less than my usual Bi-Lo trip and my cart was pretty full, so kudos to Publix there. A very kind old man pushed my cart out to my car and we discussed children and exchanged other pleasantries. I put Nina Kate in the car while he unloads the groceries and to my horror she only has one shoe on her foot. I look in the van, I look in the parking lot, I even look in the grocery bags in the trunk and nothing. I panic. I got these Crocs for 5 dollars and I wasn't about to spend 30 to replace them. And I really don't have any other shoes to substitute while I get them replaced. So I leave the ice cream melting in the sunny car and drag my one-shoed child back into Publix. Yet again we walk the giant store. No luck. Talk to a few people, leave my number, give up, and head home.
I am upset the whole time I'm driving. I know it's just a shoe, but I needed that shoe! One of the strange things about being a stay at home mom is there is nobody to vent things to. In a situation like this when I know I'm upset over something not that crucial to the world or heaven or even hell for that matter I usually just share my frustration with someone else and then almost instantly the swelling feeling inside subsides and I can let it go. So I call my sister... no answer. I call my husband... no answer. Blurg! I tried just telling Nina how I felt, but that didn't work.
Turns out the shoe was under the front seat. It had flown off when I had untangled her from the wet shopping cart cover and put her in her carseat. Now the question is will we go back to the giant Publix???
No comments:
Post a Comment