Monday, June 6, 2011

Scarlet Fever Fun


My dear baby girl was burning up last Wednesday. For the first time she actually had a fever when I took her temperature, and it was 101.7 under the arm. I'm a pretty laid back mom when it comes to these things so I didn't worry much. Took her temp again that day and it was climbing. Called the pediatrician just for good measure and they said give her tylenol and if it stays high bring her in the next morning.

Well the next morning my calmness flew out the window when Nina Kate woke up BESIDE herself. She was crying and burning up. I took her temp and it was 102.5 right after waking up. We panicked and threw on some clothes and rushed out the door. When we got to the doc we noticed a redness all over her chest. Dr. John said it looked like Scarlet Fever and did a strep test. A swab to the throat and a few minutes later it was confirmed. She had strep or what they used to call Scarlet Fever. My mind flashed back to the story book my sister and I had listened to as children. "That bunny is wretched with scarlet fever, it must be burned," I heard the little boys nurse saying in my mind. In the story that boy was sick for weeks and I was thankful I had antibiotics so readily available.

WELL today, day 5 of the antibiotic Omnicef the fever is gone but Nina is acting crazy. She falls down all the time, walks funny, cries out, whines, sucks her thumb and rolls on the floor, and just acts pitiful. I couldn't take it anymore and called the doc. They brought her back in checked her out and decided to put her on a milder antibiotic. Went to publix and got their free amoxocillin and I'm hoping by this time tomorrow some of the crazy will be gone.

I am SO thankful that all of this happened while I'm pregnant and not while I have a newborn to care for as well. I am SO thankful that I don't have any signs of strep myself yet. I am SO thankful that God has been providing me with enough rest and patience to deal with a cranky pitiful baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment